Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bittersweet

Today I realized that I only have 10 days left in France... its quite bittersweet. I've grown to love the family I'm staying with and really feel like Angers is my home. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was freaking out about coming here. some thoughts:

1.) I've found out that I have made some wonderful friends while being here. These are people that I will never forget and that I will always have a soft spot in my heart for. Being thrown into a foreign country and not knowing anyone, I've been forced to be more outgoing. But also that people like me for who I am and I don't have to be fake. I can be my normal Kayleigh, and still be accepted and build great friendships.

2.) When I first got here, I wanted to go home. Being in another country was hard to do without having those I love right by my side. Now, I know that I CAN live on my own, and that I have the ability to adapt to a situation, no matter how scary it may seem at first. I'm a stresser, thats for sure. But under the circumstances with travelling to different countries and being in two countries (Italy and Romania), I surprisingly didn't freak out. Although we're still working on the time thing, I still must be early.

3.) I'm looking forward to going home and finally be back with my family and my friends, but above all Chris (the bf). Having to be seperated is a really hard thing to do in a relationship, but for the most part it has just made our relationship stronger. Knowing that he's at home waiting for me is a really good feeling and I can't wait to see him.

4.) I only kinda completed some of my goals. My french has improved by A LOT, and I've gotten to travel to two of the countries I wanted to. Didn't make it to Spain or Portugal, but Ireland and Romania were so much more enjoyable than I could've imagined. I also failed at that whole start running thing. The fact that I have to walk everywhere, and that the weather is cold does not make me want to get out my running shorts and shoes. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I will work on that when I get home. I've also been willing to try things. Foodwise I've found out that I like leeks, couscous and tabouli and I terribly miss my hummus and mexican food.

The best part about being abroad is that while I've had the chance to discover who I am, I realize that I am no different from the person I was before. The surrounds don't make me act differently or think differently. I'm a hell of a lot more comfortable with myself. Thats the only difference. Other than the fact that I have some pretty new dresses and shoes.

So its now down to 10 days, two hands, a week and a half and I'll be returning to the ever varied and changing United States.

1 comment:

  1. That was great, K!!! You really have started stressing a lot less- I'm so proud of you :)

    See you tomorrow for FINALS!!

    ReplyDelete